Honours, awards and recognition
Recognised as a "young world-changer and trailblazer who has shown unusual accomplishment and exceptional courage" - TEDFellows 2010
What better place is there for a mini exhibition? Each major award is paired with a stunning photo taken during a professional visit to the European Space Technology Engineering Centre, Noordvijk in 2013. I was there as part of an Arts delegation working towards a European Space Agency (ESA) Arts Initiative [EAI]. As each layer of the electronic component is analysed in the resin for purposes of spaceflight validation in this lab, I am reminded of the layers of experimentation, validation and scrutiny the artist must undertake to make work in operational environments. The final body of works remind me of a collection of precious jewels, trophies and awards: they symbolically yield both social and engineering benefits through the creative ways they combines highly aesthetic elements within functional measurements and validation systems to initiate trans-dsiciplinary dialogues on the advancement of human spaceflight. Without the support of these awards, I could not practice or contribute to this vision.
Australia Council Fellowship, 2016-2018
The prestigious Australia Council for the Arts Fellowship Awarded $80K in Emerging and Experimental Arts for investigating "Performing Astronautics"
Gifted Citizen, 2016 (Highly Commended)
An international prize of $100K that supports social entrepreneurship projects with great reach and significance.
Australia Council Arts Leader, 2016
The Australia Council recognises leaders from across the country, artforms and career levels to inspire and enhance arts leadership in Australia.
TED Fellow, 2010
First Australian joining a global network of visionaries in their fields who collaborate across disciplines to create positive change around the world.
Freedman Foundation Travelling Art Scholar, 2004
Providing talented young artists with $5K to undertake formal study, residency or a planned professional development program overseas.
Pro Vice Chancellor's Research Award, 2002-2005
Edith Cowan University $90K PVC Award for Enterprise, Innovation and Advancement. Inaugural PhD Visual Arts Candidate at WAAPA.
- 2016 Australia Council Fellow - Emerging & Experimental Arts
- 2016 Gifted Citizen - Highly Commended
- 2010 TED Fellow
- 2007 MIT “Best PhD Art & Science 2007” Leonardo Abstract Service
- 1995 Victorian College of the Arts, Deans Art Award: Irene Sutton Mixed Media Award
- 2010 Singularity University, NASA Ames Scholarship
- 2006 International Space University, Heinlein Scholarship
- 2006 ArtsWA Distribution Grant
- 2005 BEAPWorks R&D Grant
- 2004 Freedman Foundation Travelling Arts Scholar
- 2004 Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, PICA R&D Grant
- 2004 Australian Network for Art & Technology, Artflight Grant
- 2003 Australia Council, New Media Arts, Arts Development Grant [Lifeboat]
- 2003 Australian Network for Art & Technology, Artflight Grant
- 2002 Edith Cowan University, PVC Innovation, Advancement & Enterprise Scholarship
- 2001 WA Performing Arts Academy, WAAPA Post Graduate Award